The ability to be involved in and sustain a satisfactory integrated relationship as a way of enhancing an organization’s emotional intelligence and improved results through good relationships and confidence depends on its emotional intelligence. An organization relies on its emotional intelligence and is well known for its expert connection between the organization and its clients.
The emotional connection between a company’s administration provides support for staff with appropriate skills and qualifications and is able to deliver quality work that enhances the organization’s performance. In an anamnesis of previous surveys, they indicate that better-performing employees in most organizations have outstanding relationships with their bosses.
Once the emotion of the employees is identified the organization will be in a better place of achieving improved performance and the employees will have the job satisfaction and a very high motivation of working.
The passionate intelligence advocates for diminishing of the blaming habit, freeness, and management of any problem that helps the managers to run the organization smoothly making the managers and other employees have good health and a conducive environment for working.
REFLECTION/ACTION PLAN SHEET (complete for three of the Workshops 2-6) (adapted from De Janasz et al. 2009)
This workshop focused on…………………………………………………………… Fill out the worksheet below once you have finished all the reading and experiential activities for this workshop.
1. Emotional intelligence and conflict resolution. Emotional intelligence is the ability to utilize an understanding of emotions within an individual and others to deal with a situation in a manner that reduces anger to produce a creative energy, and it impacts socializing thus implying the capacity to read, being sensitive and influencing other people_x0092_s emotions. As a core competence, I can manage emotional state by shifting to more desirable feelings. The other competencies of emotional intelligence that I can exhibit are self-motivation and productive relationships. Self-motivation involves activities done to reward one for making spectacular achievements. Such activities include touring and traveling during job vacations. Active link relates to groups and is indicated by the fact that you like socializing. An example of the positive use of emotions is seen in the self-reflection paper where it_x0092_s shown that I enjoy losing, but will take it as constructive criticism.
2. This is an art and process of solving and ending continuous disagreements among the individuals. Conflict resolution goes hand in hand with emotional intelligence. The aspect of socialization portrays the ability to manipulate other people during the conflict resolution process. A happy and an outgoing person have a total control of feelings, thus, an excellent characteristic of conflict resolution. Socialization easily finds application in conflict resolution and can successfully be applied in collaboration as a conflict resolution strategy. In this case, the cooperation of the involved parties makes a remarkable contribution to the resolution. There are a few skills involved in conflict resolution. The first step is deciding a strategy that will be used. A root source of the conflict should be identified before deciding a way through which it will be addressed. Type of conflict should also be identified before it_x0092_s tackled.
It is important to emphasize that dealing with conflicts early is usually better. It_x0092_s not advisable to take sides while solving disagreements. The best way of addressing conflict in its early stages is through negotiation between the participants. Later on, the conflict is likely to need mediation, arbitration or court judgment. The five strategies for dealing with conflict include; competition or fight where the strength of one party wins the situation. The second is collaboration, and this is a win/win situation as it requires the inputs of those who are involved. The third is a negotiation, avoidance, and smoothing of the problem.
3. The one or two areas in which I need more improvement are Negotiation and effective communication skills. Negotiation is the dialogue between two or more people/parties intended to reach an agreement where issues cause conflicts. It is a method of settling differences while avoiding arguments and disputes. I any conflict, parties understandably aim to achieve the best possible outcome for their positions. However, it is important to understand the principles of fairness while seeking mutual benefit and maintaining a relationship is a requirement to a successful outcome. The negotiation procedure follows a structured approach. Stage by stage approach includes; preparation, where the decision is taken into account where the meeting will be discussed. The discussion is the second stage, where individuals put forward the case as they see it. The skills required at this juncture are questioning, listening and clarifying information. Each party is awarded equal opportunity to present their case. The third stage is defining goals; this is the point where goals, interests, and viewpoints of all the parties are considered. It is an essential part of the negotiation process and without it; misunderstandings are likely to occur causing barriers and problems to reaching a beneficial outcome. The fourth stage is negotiating towards win-win. This is the stage where both parties feel that they have gained something positive in the negotiation process. It is always the best result and ultimate goal of the stage. The suggestion of alternative strategies needs to be considered. The agreement is the last stage of the negotiation process, usually achieved if the understanding of both parties_x0092_ interests and viewpoints are considered.
The other area that needs much improvement is effective communication skills. Communication is the method of sending and getting messages between two or more persons. It_x0092_s an essential interpersonal communication skills and so learning how to improve our communication has so many benefits. The following skills will help an individual to develop communication skills; Learn to listen; listening is entirely different from hearing. A person should learn to understand to spoken and no verbal words. Therefore, one should use techniques like clarification and reflection to confirm what the other has said. People should not try thinking what they will say while listening. Instead, an individual should clear mind and focus on the message being delivered.
Another important skill to effective communication is being aware of other people_x0092_s emotions. This can be done by being sympathetic towards other peoples fortunes and congratulate their positive achievements. It forces an individual to be aware of other people_x0092_s lives. In such a case, we use and maintain eye contact. During the communication, do not be afraid to ask others for their opinions as this makes them feel valued.
4. Improving negotiation and persuasive style. There are several techniques available for improving negotiation ability. There are available pieces of articles that contain what individuals should do thus leading talk such as doing background research. These are pieces of advice that can also help in the context of negotiation. Like any other problem, the solution lies with the practice. Practical exercises are needed for individuals who want to position themselves better than the negotiator. The following activities are likely to improve a person_x0092_s negotiation skills.
a. It_x0092_s always good to hearken to other people. Listening is the biggest and most important part of effective communication. Listening allows one to understand what is going on in another individual_x0092_s head. Moreover, listening more and talking a little puts one in a position power while negotiating. It means other parties are giving more information than they are given. Like all other skills, listening takes practice to perfect.
b. It is important to conduct research. Before entering into any negotiation, one needs to have done thorough research. You should identify the best way to go about your research. Occasional research is not recommended for mediation cases. You need to undertake practice in studying by learning the best approaches to search, gathering resources and learning the questions that should be addressed by the research. Researching is an important skill which if refined, can significantly improve negotiation because they provide individual pockets of information.
c. Learning body language cues. The percentage of nonverbal communication varies depending on who is asked, but there is no doubt that body language is a core variable in interpersonal communication. Subtle cues such as uncomfortable posture on the chair or excessive blinking of the eyes can give an insight into what is taking place in another person_x0092_s mind. You need to be used to such kinds of body language. The only way of achieving this is through continuous study and practice, observation of body language of people that you know. Similarly, this should be done even to strangers when one gets the chance.
d. Practice saying no. Saying no looks tougher than it sounds. For example, when a friend asks help in moving or when the boss asks you to take the assignment beyond your capability, you tend to comply out of a sense of responsibility. This leads to procrastination in your case that leads to late finishing. This shows compliance to peoples demands out of fear of how to give appropriate rejection. In negotiation, while leveraging your position, you should be ready to reject offers presented on the table. Accordingly, you should practice saying no so that you can be comfortable with the process. This doesn_x0092_t mean that you reject everything by saying no but its compatibility with lower stakes situations.
5. Making this change would probably result in: there is no doubt that negotiation is an important aspect of the business. In today_x0092_s market, the ability to negotiate effectively is highly valued than before. Evidently, negotiation skills are more important in business. The following are benefits of effective negotiation and communication skills.
a. Problem solution. Negotiation is more of solving problems. Every day, we face different challenges ranging from minor disagreements to interpersonal and professional conflicts. Each situation is unique in its way. Learning and practicing negotiation and communication skills can be easily applied to the enormous challenges that we face. Since talk includes problem-solving, an individual can easily assert effective strategy to be adapted for problem encounter.
b. Communication. Learning to communicate possibly makes it possible for negotiation to be successful. Negotiations skills demand that individuals should learn about the exchange and share information. We learn not to see things by our eyes, but rather, we use other people_x0092_s eyes. By perfectly understanding the situation, you can quickly engage clients with greater levels of ability and confidence. Similarly, listening skills enable you to fully appreciate interests with more productive understanding.
c. Persuasion. This is one of the positive results that is acquired from learning negotiation and communication skills. Being persuasive only happens when you learn to understand the nature of the problem and our ability to connect through effective communication. Persuasion is considered one of the strongest negotiation skills. Negotiation encompasses all the motivational rewards for learning different skills that businesses demand. Company staff can only benefit from learning the negotiation skills.
d. Conflict resolution. This is one of the most vital areas where consultation provides a considerable advantage. Mediation resolves conflicts actually since it revolves around individual_x0092_s ability to proactively listen and communicate. Once our negotiation skills are developed, we learn to understand positions and uncover the reasons behind them.
6. If I did not change or improve in this area, it would probably affect my personal and professional in the following ways:
_x0095_ Increased workplace conflict
Conflict resolution is a necessary component of the workplace and requires particular leadership skills. People in the direction positions must be skilled in employing conflict resolution strategies. When these conflicts are unattended, they can negatively impact on the business. Workplace conflicts require problem-solving and decision-making skills. Negotiation failures have contributed to increased workplace conflicts as cited by several organizations.
_x0095_ Poor problem-solving skills
Problem-solving skills are essential in the workplace. Every employee benefits from having excellent problem-solving skills. It would be wonderful to solve all the problems in a workplace without difficulty; unfortunately, it all depends on good negotiation and communication skills. Some of these problems are always complex and contain the element of unknown. Although problem-solving depends on planning and structuring, good judgment and an element of good luck is required for its success.
_x0095_ Impaired career success.
By failing to learn negotiation skills, you fail to develop and evolve to a better employee. Employees frequently become active in the employment field they are engaged in.
_x0095_ Poor personal relationships
Interpersonal skills and businesses fail due to poor problem-solving skills. A weak relationship is contributed by the fact that problems are not recognized and are not being dealt with appropriately.