A poison is a substance that can cause harm to a living organism. The term is commonly used in many industries and scientific disciplines. It may be used figuratively as well as colloquially. In chemistry, poison can refer to chemicals that have the potential to kill a living thing. It is also the name of a class of chemicals.
A poison can enter the body through a variety of routes, including the gastrointestinal tract and skin. In addition, poisons that are absorbed through the skin pass through the subcutaneous tissues and the blood stream. This process helps distribute the poison throughout the body. The type of poison used will have a large impact on how the poison is absorbed in the body.
When poisoning occurs, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. A physician will review your medical history and perform a physical exam to determine if you are at risk. The doctor will also conduct tests to find out what you’ve consumed. Blood and urine tests can help identify many common poisons. If poisoning is suspected, make sure to move to a fresh environment as soon as possible. If the poison has landed on your skin, clean it thoroughly with water and remove your clothing. If you have swallowed the poison, don’t try to vomit.
The term poison refers to any substance or method that has the potential to cause harm to a living organism. It may be natural or synthetic and can be delivered in many ways. They may also be inhaled, absorbed through the skin, or ingested by accident. Generally, a poison causes immediate or prolonged harm to a person.
Ingestion of a poison can be deadly to a human, but the effects will vary greatly. The effects are determined by the amount of the poison. Ingestion of a small dose of fentanyl, a powerful opioid painkiller, is potentially fatal. Similarly, the substance melatonin is toxic only in large amounts.
Poisonings are a problem for people of all ages. The American Academy of Pediatrics offers tips to avoid and treat poisoning. Many of these poisons are unintentional and occur in the home. A call to the poison control center can be helpful for anyone, regardless of age. There are trained experts on the phone to help you.
A variety of products can cause toxic effects on humans and pets. Some common household products are bleaches, detergents, insect sprays, baits, deodorants, perfume, aftershave, and other personal care products. Other toxic chemicals are used in the workplace. Some may even be dangerous to the environment. It is important to seek medical care immediately if you suspect that you or someone you love has ingested a poisonous substance.
Medications are available to help combat the effects of poisoning. Activated charcoal is one treatment. The charcoal is a powerful sorbent and is best administered as soon as possible after the poisoning. However, activated charcoal is not effective with alcohol, caustics, or petroleum products. Another treatment is whole bowel irrigation, in which a large amount of fluid is administered into the digestive tract to flush the bowel.